VII. Solid Oxide Technologies Laboratory
The laboratory is focused on the research, development and operation of solid oxide fuel cells and electrolyzers. In this lab, all the problems associated with the development, integration and characterization of materials and systems are studied.
- Electrochemical characterization area, where solid oxide fuel cells and electrolyzers (up to 500W) are electrochemically tested.
- Materials processing area, where the equipments for material synthesis, ceramic sample fabrication and thin film deposition are integrated.
- Materials characterization area, where is performed the physico-chemical characterization of materials.
- Furnaces room, where thermal treatments are performed.
Electrochemical characterization area
4 Test stations
- Use of different reactant gases.
- Fuel cell or electrolyzer mode.
- Programmable electronic loads and power supplies.
- Multichannel potentiostat-galvanostat with FRA modules.
Infrared Spectrometer (ATR-FTIR)
- MID-IR spectral range 9,000-350 cm-1.
- ATR technique: diamond crystal and ZnSe lenses.
- Detectors: DLaTGS y MCT.
- Spectral resolution: -1.
- Interface FTIR-TGA.
- Tubular furnace up to 1500 ºC.
- 2 muffle furnaces up to 1200ºC.
- Muffle furnace up to 1600ºC.
Materials processing area
- Electrospinning for the synthesis of polymeric or ceramic micro and nano fibres, 60 kV, flat and drum collectors, provided with high productivity dispensers.
- Spin coater for thin film deposition onto plane supports.
- Dip coater for thin film deposition onto different geometry supports.
- Tape caster for plane supports fabrication
- Screen printing for thin film deposition onto plane supports.
- Wet powder spray.
- Monoaxial press (40 t).
- Isostatic press (10 t).
- Laboratory extruder for ceramic samples fabrication.
Physico-chemical characterization area
- Vertical dilatometer, operation temperature up to 1600ºC under different atmospheres.
- Particle size and Z potential analyser.
- Rheometer, controlled shear rate or controlled shear stress operation.
- Synthesis of ceramic, polymeric or metallic micro and nano fibbers.
- Sample preparation for SEM analysis.
- Materials Thermal Expansion Coefficient determination under different atmospheres.
- Solid oxide fuel cells and solid oxide electrolyzers electrochemical characterization (I-V, EIS).
- Electrochemical long term tests (degradation analysis)
- Rheological characterization.
- Particle size determination.
- Ceramic samples fabrication (Flat and tubular).
- Thin film deposition.