II. PEM Technology Research & Scale Up Laboratory
The PEM Technology Research & ScaleUp Laboratory focuses its activities on:
- Design, manufacture and scale up of MEAs and components of electrolyzers and fuel cells.
- Testing of components under simulated experimental conditions, ex situ experiments and analysis of results.
- Electrochemical characterization of devices in real operating conditions.
- Accelerated stress and durability testing.
- Development of measurement procedures.
- Manufacturing and scaling up of membrane electrode assemblies (MEA) and electrolyzers and fuel cells components.
- Electrochemical characterization and accelerated stress and durability testing of single cells and small stacks.
Electrochemical characterization and testing
- 100, 150 and 500W PEMFC test stations.
- 500W PEME station.
- Potentiostat galvanostat / FRA module.
- Stations and cells to determine the through plane and in plane membranes conductivity.
- Segmented single cell to determine current density map in MEA.
- Digital analysis system for paper pressure.
- Thermostated glass cell and a rotating disk electrode for corrosion tests.
- Single cells and stacks tight with torque wrench and pneumatic system for evaluation of MEAs performance.
- Climatic chamber.
Manufacturing and scaling up of components
- Multi-axis dosage robot.
- Hot platen press with pressure and temperature control.
- Doctor Blade thin layers automatic dispenser.
- Planetary ball mill and micro mill mixer.
- Three roll mill.
- Manufacturing of hybrid membranes based in Nafion, with thickness between 25-200 microns.
- MEA pressing for PEMFC and PEME.
- MEA manufacturing for PEMFC.
- Current-voltage (IV) curves of single-cells with an active area of 5, 25 and 50 cm2 and up to 100 W.
- Electrochemical characterization of single cells and stack up to 8 cells and 50 cm2 PEM electrolysis.